According to Wikipedia, digital marketing is the marketing of products or services using digital technologies, mainly on the Internet, but also including mobile phones, display advertising, and any other digital medium.
Let’s make this easier to understand. Digital marketing is a way of marketing products leveraging online marketing tactics. The standard channels typically used search are engine optimization, mobile marketing, pay per click, email marketing and more.
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO) – Search engine optimization (SEO) involves strategic preparation and planning to ensure that your website ranks high in search engines including Google, Bing, and Yahoo.
- Social Media Marketing (SMM) – Social media marketing (SMM) is the use of social media websites and social networks to market a company’s products and services. This allows created content to be shared across multiple social media outlets.
- Pay Per Click (PPC) – Pay per click, also known as PPC, is a way of marketing online in which advertisers pay a fee each time one of their ads is clicked. You are essentially buying visits to your website instead of trying to earn them organically.
- Email Marketing – Email marketing provides an effective connection with your targeted audience and provides an optimal return on investment.
With digital marketing, it’s easy to track how many people have visited your website in real time. This allows you to look at trends and behavior patterns when it comes to the time of purchase. By closely monitoring this, you are able to learn tactics to drive other like minded buyers to your website. Our reporting can tell you exactly where your traffic is coming from. For example, if 15% of your traffic is coming from organic search, you now know that you need to increase your budget for SEO.
There are over 3 billion people using the internet worldwide. In 2007 there were roughly 738 million internet users worldwide. You can see how fast the online market is growing. Looking at those numbers, you would be crazy not to want to stay in front of these users with your products or services.
Digital marketing is the one of top marketing keywords according to Google Trends.
Here are a few stats from Smart Insights that we found very interesting.
- Google accounted for 91% of US site visits produced by mobile search in Q3 2017 (Merkle, Digital Marketing Report, Q3 2017)
- 50% of page-1 Google results are now HTTPS (Moz, 2017)
- 60% of consumers don’t know a Google advert when they see one (Smart Insights, 2017)
- Businesses make an average of $2 in revenue for every $1 they spend on AdWords. (Google Economic Impact Report)
- Social Media captures over 30% of online time (Global web index, 2017)
- Facebook generates 8 billion video views on average per day (Social Media Today)
- 25% of Instagram ads are single videos (Sprout social, 2017)
- Targeted mobile ad spend will grow from $12.4 billion in 2016 to $32.4 billion in 2021 – (BIA/Kelsey, 2017)
- Over 205 billion emails are sent every day – a figure expected to grow by 3% each year (Radicati)
- 71% of consumers are more likely to make a purchase based on a social media reference (Alist daily, 2016)